HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is a short cardio and strength training with a succession of maximum and moderate loads. The main advantage of this method is the acceleration of metabolic processes of fat burning and the increase of the aerobic endurance of the body along with oxygen consumption of tissues that causes the breakdown of fat 4 or more times faster than any traditional training.
- the best way to lose weight, that does not involve diets or any other strong restrictions on food consumption;
- the best way to lose weight, that has been evolved over the years, tested on thousands of people and does 100% work;
- the method, helping to lose weight 6 times faster than conventional exercise.
HIIT: The proofs of the effectiveness
HIIT came to the fitness industry due to excellent results, which were observed in practice, published in scientific journals and confirmed by research. All studies have showed the same – HIIT is much more effective in getting rid of fat, than regular exercises of shorter duration.
One of the first studies, which demonstrated HIIT’s higher productivity in weight loss, was conducted in 1994 by scientists at Laval University (Ste-Foy, Quebec, Canada). Young men and women, who followed a 15-week HIIT program, lost significantly more body fat than those, following a 20-week continuous steady-state endurance program. The studies continued to show similar results.
1. HIIT provides a body fat loss by 2% in 8 weeks
A study in 2001 at East Tennessee State University, showed similar results among the participants, who followed an 8-week HIIT program (their body fat decreased by 2%) as compared to those, who followed a continuous steady-state endurance program on a treadmill (the latter had no decrease in body fat).
2. HIIT helps to lose 6 times more body fat
During the study, conducted in Australia, women who had practiced a 20-minute HIIT program, which consisted of 8 seconds sprints and 12 seconds of rest, lost 6 times more body fat, than the members of another group. Their program consisted of 8 seconds sprints and 12 seconds of rest. The second group carried out a 40 minutes cardio workout at a constant intensity of 60% of their maximum heart rate. So HIIT burns fat to a greater extent than continuous steady-state cardio due to the greater increase in resting metabolism after HIIT.
3. HIIT make your metabolism work without rest
The Research, carried out at Baylor College of Medicine in 1996 (Houston, Texas) showed that those, who practiced HIIT program on stationary bikes burned more calories in the 24 hours, than those who practiced a continuous steady-state endurance program.
4. You can lose 100 calories more with HIIT
In the 2007 study.conducted at the annual meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine by Florida State University (Tallahassee), the participants who practiced HIIT program, within the 24 hours of the following workout, burned up to 10% more calories than those, who have practiced a continuous steady-state endurance program. HIIT improves metabolism in muscle cells that helps to burn fat and slow its formation.
5. HIIT gives a greater production of the enzyme, involved in fat burning
The research from Laval University showed, that the muscle fibers of HIIT participants contained a higher amount of markers for fat oxidation (i.e. it’s burning), than that of the group of a continuous steady-state endurance program.
6. HIIT reduce the content of fat producing enzymes
A study from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Trondheim) showed, that the group with metabolic syndrome, who participated in a 16-week HIIT program, had an 86% greater decrease in the content of the fat – producing enzyme fatty acid synthase, than the group, which performed a continuous steady-state endurance program.
7. The best way to lose weight – use fat as fuel for your workout
A new study, published in the American Journal of Physiology sheds, light on another HIIT feature. Researchers have shown that, after a 6-week-HIIT workout, the number of specific muscle proteins, that are responsible for the transfer of fat molecules in the mitochondria (where it is burned as fuel) increased by 50%. The growth of such proteins in the muscle means, that the body is able to burn more fat as fuel during training and resting.
- Acceleration of metabolism and activation of the fat burning processes. Your body starts the process of activation of fat burning immediately after the first session, without any preparation;
- High efficiency. The number of calories burned during this training, is higher, than during conventional training, because of a post-training effect;
- A post-training effect. The fat burning process, which contributes to your weight loss and a great loss of calories in 24 hours, is activated even when you are sleeping, sitting at the computer, running, driving a car or just lying on the sofa;
- Increased aerobic endurance of the body and oxygen consumption of tissues. Oxygen plays a huge role in the breakdown of fat by speeding up your weight loss;
- Weight loss has a positive effect on glucose metabolism, gradually reducing the sensitivity of an adipose tissue to insulin. That is also extremely important to your weight loss.
- Little training time;
- Workouts can be done at home.
What is the best way to lose weight and how does it work?
A scientific explanation.
Typically, when running at an average intensity, it activates slow-twitch muscle fibers, which use fat as energy. However, with the best way to lose weight the body also begins to use fast-twitch muscle fibers.
Since the main source of energy for fast-twitch fibers is glucose, the body just does not understand what “fuel” to use, whereas fast and slow activity is continuously alternated. As a result, it begins to burn fat and glycogen. Note, that glycogen is a polysaccharide formed of glucose residues. It is the main storage of glucose in cells.
How does the “best way to lose weight” affect our body?
An interval load, that is unusual for our body, makes it reconstruct metabolism so that, in case of necessity, it can use fast-twitch muscle fibers of free fatty acids as fuel, while generally these processes are minimized.
Such training as well as circular weight training, washing out glycogen, leads to a consequential increase in the synthesis of a growth hormone. It is important to note that this hormone is also responsible for fat burning in adults.
Practical tips for the use of HIIT
- Before training avoid taking fat burners and energy drinks, which contain caffeine or other stimulants. Your body will give you a lot of energy 5 minutes after training. All these fat burners and energy drugs increase blood pressure and heart rate, which can cause adverse effects;
- During the exercise, do not use sports drinks such as Powerade or Gatorade. They contain components such as fast carbohydrates and sugar, which degrade the process of using the body’s glycogen stores, partially inhibiting the fat burning process;
- After an interval training, refrain from visiting saunas, because high temperatures have a negative effect on a post-workout metabolism. Cold shower, on the contrary, improves metabolism, reducing heart rate;
- If you are on a low-carb diet, rebuild your training. The absence of glycogen in the body can cause a loss of consciousness.
“The best way to lose weight”. Contradictions
This training is complicated by sports equipement. If you have not been involved in sports for a long time, you should begin your training with a small load, eventually increasing it. Heavy loads can be dangerous for both the joints and ligaments and cardiovascular system. This type of training is forbidden for people with heart and cardiovascular diseases, as blood pressure is increased during such training. In addition, these fat burning workouts are contraindicated for diabetics.
What affects the efficiency of HIIT?
1. The selection of exercise affects how much fat you will burn
There are 2 types of skeletal muscles. Red fibers are permeated by capillaries, and as long as they are supplied with oxygen (you breathe), they work. White fibers are created for a breakthrough. We have 50% of both of them. If while training you use one type of fibers and do not use another, it means only one thing – 50% of your muscles do not work. It is easy to determine which muscles work. If you breathe smoothly – red fibers work. If you are short of breath, you need to notice the moment, when you feel the burning, or if there is a feeling of complete exhaustion. But if you have not trained for a long time or just have started, a feeling of fatigue may come sooner, than you feel the burn. Continuing to train, the condition of the respiratory system improves and your body adapts to the physical load. Conventional training involves one type of muscle fibers, losing its efficiency and reducing weight loss results. “The best way to lose weight” applies these 2 types, allowing you to lose weight 2 times faster.
2. Your oxygen line (pulse rate) determines everything
The frequency of pulse beats is the main parameter affecting the amount of burned calories. For example, when the pulse is 115-135 beats per minute, fat is burning much faster. To assess the heart rate during exercise, the percentage rule of maximum heart rate (SPE) is used. It is defined as 220beats minus your age. For example, a safe maximum heart rate for 30-year-man is 190 beats per minute. Training at a higher pulse exerts excessive strain on the body and leads to health problems. Therefore it is important to monitor the heart rate, because untrained people disperse the heart to “fat burning” speed very quickly, but can easily go out of the boundaries of fat loss going into the danger zone. After a while, as it has been already mentioned, the body adapts to such loads and you can move on.
3. Heart rate training zones
The boundaries of safe heart rate zones are calculated according to your age. You should not remember all the figures. Just keep in mind your personal maximum and train within 60-80% of it (1). It is recommended to take pulse during physical exercises by a heart rate monitor:
- Pulse at rest – 35-40% MPP (60-80 beats for 30 years);
- Warm Zone – 50-60% of the MPP (95-115 beats);
- Activity Zone – 60-70% (115-135 beats);
- Aerobic Zone – 70-80% (135-150 beats);
- Endurance Zone – 80-90% (150-170 beats);
- Red Zone – 90-95% (170-180 beats).
4. Fat-burning heart rates zone
Fat-burning zone is 60-70% of the MPP or 115-130 beats for 30years. The body covers the largest percentage (more than 50%) of energy costs due to body fat. When training at a lower pulse, the body works differently, covering no more than 35-40% of the energy consumption from fat.
How to apply it to lose weight?
The best way to lose weight allows you to lose weight without leaving home. Whether you are sitting at home with your child, work, study, or make a career, you can make a little time on training to get a slender figure. And I hasten to please you. Practice HIIT at home by yourself or with the help of the instructor.
Workout time: how often?
This type of training takes about 30-40 minutes of your time, just 3 times a week. If you have not practiced for a long time, or it is your first workout, have at least 1 consultation with a professional. Write down his tips and recommendations, ask the coach to develop a workout program personally for you and start practicing it step by step. You will be surprised by quick changes.
How to select exercises?
If you have decided to create a workout program, follow these video-lessons: 1 for general weight loss + 1 for belly + 1 for butt and legs. For example:
Play the videos one by one and do 2-3 sets together with the coach. After 2 weeks of this workout, replace it with other workouts for the same area of the body. To get the most out of HIIT workout, it is necessary to have a reasonable approach, developed by a coach. An effectively selected set of exercises activates the maximum amount of muscles and gives a long-awaited result.
However, by simply watching the YouTube videos and repeating after the coach you will also achieve noticeable results. It is up to you what to choose. The main thing is to exercise regularly and believe in yourself. Good luck on your way to a perfect body!
Share the article with your friends on social networks and subscribe to our YouTube channel. Sincerely, Elena Power.