Pizza is heart favorite these days irrespective of age or gender, but lesser people think of its nutritional value. Talking about the healthy eating habits and pizza is indeed not on the list owing to its traditional high-calorie percentage. What if I tell you that you can still enjoy pizza while keeping the calorie issue within your desired limits? Yes, you can certainly do this by making a healthy pizza at your home.
Things which are of significant concern are an excessive fat and carbohydrate ratio which certainly excludes pizza from a healthy diet list. By a careful selection of other ingredients, one can still enjoy a pizza while keeping himself within the calorie limits.
Talking about how to make pizza a little “healthier”? A careful selection of ingredients may do the job such as to choose mozzarella cheese (preferably freshly prepared), a whole grain crust instead of white dough crust, trying to use lesser meat (using chicken is better) or no meat at all plus lots and lots of vegetables. This will not only make your selection a healthier one but also rich in fiber and nutrients. Making this pizza at home is a lot easier and healthier as you can try to incorporate a more of high nutritional value ingredients and skip the unhealthier ones.
Ever heard of a cauliflower pizza crust? We are going to introduce you to an innovative yet delicious pizza recipe today. Cauliflower crust is healthier than the traditional white dough crust as it is low in carbohydrates and high in fiber. The most exciting thing about this pizza is that it’s not only healthy but tasty too, making it an excellent choice for vegetable lovers out there. The ingredients list not too long and the recipe would take less than an hour typically to cook.
Cauliflower is one of the healthiest vegetables enriched with vitamin C, vitamin K, and B6. It is low in calories and carbohydrates, and a rich source of dietary fiber, omega-3, phosphorus and antioxidants, these antioxidants are helpful in fighting cancer as per the latest conducted research.
- Half-head cauliflower (2 cups grated)
- Salt (to taste)
- An egg
- Half cup yogurt
- One teaspoon oregano
- One teaspoon basil
- Half cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Cooked mix vegetables (optional)
- ¾ cup marinara sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a baking sheet greased with oil or use a greased aluminum foil, failing to do so may get it stick.
- Always use a food processor or a hand chopper to grate the cauliflower after removing its leaves and stem.
- Remove the moisture from the grated cauliflower by drying it on a dish towel, or it’s better to use the microwave and cook it slightly for about 8 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients along with grated cauliflower in a bowl and mix them well.
- Evenly spread the dough on the sheet with hands till the thickness is around ½ to ¾ inch.
- Bake the pizza for about 25-30 minutes or till its golden brown, cooked and crispy on edges. Remove the crust from oven.
- Top the pizza with vegetable and cheese toppings, add marinara sauce as desired.
- Smoked bacon or sliced chicken sausages can be used to (if preferred) but make sure not to use too much of the toppings as it may overload the crust.
- Replace the pizza in the oven for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Let the pizza cool down for a few minutes, then cut and serve.
Eat and enjoy a healthy snack whether indoor or outdoor and don’t forget to write us regarding your incredible experience of trying cauliflower crust pizza.