Though many people first of all associate protein cocktails with bodybuilding, their main use is not limited to the help to build those muscles. For women who suffer from excess weight, who want to lose weight, protein shakes (if to drink them every day) ensure the long-lasting feeling of satiety, reduce your calories consumption. There is no doubt that you will get better results if along with drinking protein shakes you will use other methods of weight loss, but still, even one portion of protein shake a day instead of a fatty meal has all the potential to help you to lose weight. So what is the point of protein shakes for weight loss?
What are your goals?
Since your main goal is to lose weight, you can replace one or two food intakes with protein shakes to reduce calories consumption and to work on getting thinner.
The study conducted in 2003 and published in “Nutrition Journal” magazine showed that all the participants who were replacing 1-2 food intakes with shakes rich in protein during 40 weeks lost more weight than those who were on the low-calorie diet with regular 3 food intakes.
Advantages of protein shakes
Protein is a major component of protein shakes, and as well as fiber it is an important nutrient for weight loss which fills you with satiety for a longer period of time than other products rich in carbos and fats. What is more, it can help you to build, restore, and maintain your muscles, which, on account of your regular physical activity, create a beautiful and slim figure in a shorter period of time. Protein shakes that are also rich in calcium (with curd, non-fat milk, or yoghurt) prevent osteoporosis and ensure normal bone growth.
Risks of protein shakes
Keep in mind that if you drink too many protein shakes you can do your health harm in the long run. Though these shakes contain lots of calcium, using high protein shakes for your diet can lead to calcium deficiency. Besides, excessive protein consumption can increase the chances of diverticulitis, constipation, heart, kidney, and liver diseases, and even cancer. Other side-effects can include, as paradoxical as it may sound, weight gain. You can also cause other nutrients deficiency in your organism if you choose protein shakes over main products and meals. Because fresh or cooked natural products have a bigger supply of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemical and other useful compounds than you will ever find in protein shakes.
Protein shakes food value
Pay attention to the ingredients list when you buy a protein shake instead of making it at home. Because they most likely contain artificial ingredients: sugar, fats, cholesterol, and Na. So, even if they are fully enriched with nutrients they can’t offer you a proper food value. You’d better choose protein shakes with low fat and sugar levels and rich in fiber, protein, and natural ingredients.
Preparing protein shakes for weight loss at home
Making protein shakes at home will not only save you money but also help you to control which ingredients and nutrients are used in cooking. Though many people use protein powder as the main ingredient, you can easily make a tasty and rich in protein shake without the powder.
To make a protein shake at home you need to:
- Add 1-2 cups of non-fat milk to a blender (one portion contains 9 g of protein and 12 g of carbos).
- Substitute the protein powder with ½ cup of non- or low-fat ricotta This portion contains 14 g of protein, 6 g of carbos, and about 10 g of fat. This whey is absorbed and digested quickly, and it stimulates muscle protein effectively.
- Add ½ cup of non-fat curd with casein – a substance that is digested very slowly. It forms a jelly-like mass in your intestines, slows down the process of digestion, creating amino acids “streamlets effect” to your muscle cells. Besides, casein prevents muscle destruction and helps to suppress appetite. ½ cup of curd contains 5 g of carbos and 14 g of protein.
- Add 150 g of non-fat yoghurt and blend everything together. Yoghurts contain probiotics, beneficial bacteria that maintain your health, and also calcium that helps to lose weight and prevents fat storage. A portion of yoghurt contains 14 g of carbos and 8 g of protein.
- Add one tbsp. of cream for flavoring.
- Add some frozen or fresh fruit for aroma, vitamins, and healthy carbos. Frozen bananas make your protein shake as sweet as an ice-cream.
- Finally, add a few tbsp. of linen or olive oil (or other healthy fats) to prevent cardiovascular diseases and improve your health. Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats will help you to lower the damage that is brought to your organism by harmful saturated- and trans fats.
- Drink a protein shake immediately after its making. If you have more than enough, pour it into some tightly closed container and keep it in a freezer. Shake before drinking, because some components may become stratified after some time.
Protein shakes will surely help you to lose weight and develop your muscles if you get cardio and physical load regularly. They can hardly do all the job alone.
Besides, before starting any diet with protein intake you must consult your doctor or dietitian.